register | account recovery | profile | help / abiinfo | search
show today's posts | mark all read
ukraina
tqhq.ee foorum : Modifitseerimine : TH 400 manual shifter + transbrake for 1000 HP and 1200 NM!  
Poster Message
Lotuse poiss
TH 400 manual shifter + transbrake for 1000 HP and 1200 NM!
Does anybody deal with TH400 in Eesti? Someone with known experience? Who could help me put it together?

Parts is coming from States but i havent touched any of these boxes before so help would be good.

Ubbe
lotusepoiss@hot.ee

08.09.2003 at 22:52
peep

Call Lauri, he will give you a contact - the guy is in the Tallinn who made his. No transbrake in Lauri's box, but I guess he will manage with this too.

If you consider putting it in the Lotus, then may-be there are better choiches ? Like PG ?
08.09.2003 at 00:06 Last edited 08.09.2003 at 00:07 by peep (Moderator)
Lotuse poiss

I will,

PG are stronger? 2 speed + Overdrive?

Actually i wanted a sequential or lenco box but driveability in street are to lousy with those.

I heard that BMWs new 7 speed for Mclaren SLR and maybach shall be nice, and hold the power. But to many electrical funtions will stop this operation.

Any other ideas.

Ubbe
09.09.2003 at 08:22
jyrki
The problem with a PG might be that it has only two gears and the first ones ratio is pretty long; usually 1.7-1.8. This also means that the rpm drop in the shift is a lot. What this means in practise is that you need a pretty stout & high stall converter to get the car moving without boost, so especially driving in the streets will propably be a pain. PG is a great trans otherwise though, it has stout clutches, it's simple and the trans brake in one is inexpensive to make and works well. It needs aftermarket parts to take 1000 hp, but they are commonly available. There is one for sale here that can (and has taken) take that much power and then some, but it isn't cheap. I think he wants around 3000€ out of it, it's rated for 1400 hp and it's completely aftermarket with a Dedenbear case and no bell housing, so you can build your own and don't need any adapters between the trans & engine.

TH400 is a stout trans too, and it has three speeds which is good for a relatively heavy car. I think there are parts available too to amke it withstand that kind of torque. It's more complicated, bigger and heavier than a PG and it takes more hp to use. Transbrake in to one is also more complicated to install and needs some internal mods to the case. Or at least he one I had was built like that. I actually threw it to thrash can a few years ago!
09.09.2003 at 10:14
peep

th400 is very heavy trans and eats lots of power. PG is light and much more efficent, sry don't have exact spec. Art Carr says:

quote:
When should I use a powerglide instead of a three speed?

A powerglide is most useful in light cars with high horsepower to weight ratio. A powerglide as built by Art Carr Performance products allows the torque converter to multiply torque for a longer time. Torque is what accelerates the vehicle forward. Three speed transmissions with low rear end gears don’t allow the maximum torque multiplication available from the torque converter. High horsepower (800 and up) to weight (2500 and down) ratios benefit from the powerglide.

Don't know how it would be for the street, because it's two-speed, 1.76/1.00. Th400 ratios are 2.48/1.48/1.00.
09.09.2003 at 10:18
forced2race
Sorry for offtopic..
but , Jyrki , how do you make new own bell housing ?
Adapter make was not so hard , but I just don't imagine how you make a bell ?

11.09.2003 at 15:21
jyrki
I don't know, I have never done one. But there are a lot of teams here that are running self made bellhousings in combinations like Lenco - Toyota, so it shouldn't be a problem. The guy has a bellhousing too that propably could be modified, but it has a SB mopar bolt pattern. There are bellhousings available for fords & chevrolet too, I remebered the manufacturere wrong; it's a JW Ultra Bell trans. http://auto2000.com/jw/tech_tips.htm
12.09.2003 at 09:56
tqhq.ee foorum : Modifitseerimine : TH 400 manual shifter + transbrake for 1000 HP and 1200 NM!  
Account recovery

muskelautod | kiirendusvõistlused | tehnika | üritused | autoesitlused | foorum | sõnastik | kalkulaatorid
tqhq'st | sisukaart | e-mail
© tqhq.ee 2000 - 2024. Loe meie materjalide linkimisest ja kopeerimisest.