register | account recovery | profile | help / abiinfo | search
show today's posts | mark all read
ukraina
tqhq.ee foorum : In English : Question about a thread  
Poster Message
turbojimmy
Question about a thread
Hi all!

I was checking my server stats and came across a large number of hits from this thread:

http://www.tqhq.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=13175

I found where the link to my page is within the thread (the page linked is http://www.turbojimmy.com/dts/dts.html), but not being able to speak Estonian I have no idea what the jist of the conversation is. Can someone provide a hint? I suspect someone thinks I've lost my mind by saving my flood-totaled Cadillac. I'm just curious.....

Thanks!

Jim
19.05.2005 at 20:31
newton

Question about a thread
Hi, there was some major flooding in our country several months back and that caused a discussion about flood damage and how (if at all) it can be repaired. Your Caddy was brought up as an example of what it takes to be really sure that all the damage gets taken care of. Your sanity was not questioned :D
19.05.2005 at 20:42
turbojimmy
Question about a thread
quote:
newton: Your sanity was not questioned :D

Thanks for the info. It wouldn't be the first time my sanity was questioned, particularly when it comes to that Caddy. I got it officially registered in early March and have put 2,000 miles on it so far. Works great with no flood-related problems (except for finding mud caked in strange places).

Jim
19.05.2005 at 20:44
Vanaisa

Question about a thread
Nice work Jim! I hope your car lasts years and years. How about water - was it river or salty ocean water?
And what you can say in conclusion - was it worth job that big or not? Of course, it all depends, how much to pay for car itself, but was all this drying-and-mud-scraping worth it, or just good quality time spending(with lots of beer, i think ;) )?

19.05.2005 at 21:00
turbojimmy
Question about a thread
quote:
Vanaisa: Nice work Jim! I hope your car lasts years and years. How about water - was it river or salty ocean water?
And what you can say in conclusion - was it worth job that big or not? Of course, it all depends, how much to pay for car itself, but was all this drying-and-mud-scraping worth it, or just good quality time spending(with lots of beer, i think ;) )?

Thanks!

It was river water. A salt-water flood is much worse and probably not worth saving. It was one of 200 cars that were flooded at a car dealership. Most cars were brand new (2005s) that had never been titled. All done, I paid about 50% of the book value of the car. When I look around at what I could have bought for the same amount of money I'm happy.

I think it was definitely worth it. I love driving the car and I get compliments on it a lot from people who don't even know it's a flood car (people like the pearl paint). I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it was a good excuse to sneak out to the garage and have a few beers. It wasn't particularly hard work, just tedious. I also had to learn very quickly how the engine and body control systems worked on a modern car. I never would have dreamed that autos had become so complex.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't run as long as a 'normal' car at this point. There don't appear to be any lasting effects of the flood on the drivetrain.

I'm glad you found the link to the site!

Jim
19.05.2005 at 21:21
tqhq.ee foorum : In English : Question about a thread  
Account recovery

muskelautod | kiirendusvõistlused | tehnika | üritused | autoesitlused | foorum | sõnastik | kalkulaatorid
tqhq'st | sisukaart | e-mail
© tqhq.ee 2000 - 2024. Loe meie materjalide linkimisest ja kopeerimisest.